Bangkok, Thailand.
December 27, 2001
I've arrived safely and I swear, the hotel must have a cable or DSL line, AT LEAST ! for I am not left waiting for byte by byte to download.
I'm at the Narai hotel, and will rest for an early morning awakening to head to the Grand Palace, a load of Wats, and a walk through Chinatown. Am not feeling up to much right now for wandering the city alone at night as it's my first night and it feels so incredibly foreign. Am not much in the adventuring mood yet. That'll kick in when I go hiking in the rainforests in Australia. Or maybe by daylight over here. I'm right in the heart of downtown on Silom Road, which is great - everything is really in walking distance.
It's strange - how foreign Asia really is to me! Although in Bangkok, the roads are much better - more like in the States and the variety of cars and vehicles is similar - I keep seeing my Honda Civic everywhere, which is a rarity in Saigon (Saigonnese who own Hondas usually get the higher end Accord). Of course, the language is totally new and so is the script. Gratefully, everything is also in English.
Prices are relative to that in Vietnam, and bartering is similar common practice. Hopefully I'll be better at it here than I am in Vietnam. I'll mostly do some sightseeing, and doubt I'll do any shopping since I don't want to lug it all around Australia with me. On the way back, I am only here overnight for about 12 hours so doubt that I'll head back into town.
OK. A shout out to my peeps back in Saigon. Gone one day and already, I miss them. You know who you are.
Love
Hani

No comments:
Post a Comment