October 03, 2001

Ha Noi, Vietnam. October 3, 2001
I’m visiting the office of one of Chuong’s friends right now (after a really wonderful french meal prepared by orphan students of a vocational school). I’ve spent the last few days wandering around Hanoi on motorbike with Khai (Linh’s friend) and Chieu (Khai’s friend). The sweetest part of Hanoi is its lakes. The other evening we spent about six hours drinking tea around Hoan Kiem Lake where it’s cool with weeping willows surrounding the lake.

Hanoi is much cooler than Saigon, although still hot, and the people in general seem less agressive. I’ve spent all my time riding around on motorbike, eating, and drinking. Yesterday, Khai took me all around the old quarters, with street names like Hang Bong “flower vendors,” Hang Giay “shoe vendors” and so on. There were once 36 streets in Hanoi where the locals would buy their specific goods at these little thoroughfares. Now, only a few remain, but thet all still have small boutiques and shops and many retain their old french charm.

There’s much to describe, but I will save it for when I return to Sai Gon. Only wanted to touch base here a bit and say hello. More upon my return tomorrow or Friday...

No comments: